Sunday, April 10, 2011

Parenting and Boundaries

I am a new mom, but I have been an educator in the public school system for 5 years.  The jobs are similar.  I have always said that becoming a teacher before I became a mom helped prepare me for parenthood. Similar to my feelings in the classroom, I am not going to like the reactions my daughter will exhibit when her dad and I discipline her negative behavior, but we feel it is vital to help her become a positive and effective citizen.  I don't want my daughter thinking that this world revolves around her, because it doesn't.  We are on this earth to serve others, not the other way around, which is still a concept I am trying to grasp in my own life.  If we don't set boundaries and limits for our kids, then we are doing them an injustice and giving them a false sense of reality.  If we allow them to do whatever they feel is right, or do whatever makes them feel good at the moment, then they will never learn that the world has consequences to wrong decisions.  They will also never learn how to make the right ones.

Today on my run as I was pouring out to God about some current trials I am facing, He gently reminded me that discipline is necessary for instruction.  I don't always look forward to or enjoy running, but it's good for me.  I don't enjoy disciplining my students, but I know that it is necessary if I want to present the information to everyone in the classroom.  Not always, but more often than not, I can distinguish hands down the students who are the parents in their homes (the ones who run the show) and the ones who are parented.  The ones who are the parents try to ruin the class for everyone by trying to call the shots.  Because they want something their way and can't get it, they ruin the activity for everyone.  They have been allowed to believe that everything revolves around them & if they have a bad day, everyone must suffer with them.

Rules are put into effect to make the world a better place for everyone, not to hinder anyone.  They are a good thing.  It is my husband's and my priority to create a safe and enjoyable environment at home for our children, but they must learn that their actions ultimately and always affect other people and that they must learn to make the wise ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment