Sunday, March 20, 2011

Date Night

My husband took me on a date last night, the first one without our daughter since she was born on September 20 of last year.  It was a very enjoyable and needed date night.  We laughed, reminisced, and talked about lots of different things.  It was fun to catch up and date my husband again.  In between conversations, though, I found myself looking at the crowd that was gathered at the bar to my right and thinking about my place in this world.  I am an introspective person, so this wasn't uncommon for me at all.  While I was observing a group of girls at the bar who were so desperately vying for any man's attention, I realized that I don't really fit into this world.  I don't, nor have I ever, had the same desires other girls in my life have had, like being noticed by men, gossiping, or participating in meaningless conversations.  I am an introvert; I have not figured out if I am one by nature or by nurture, but I do a lot of self-reflecting.  I don't talk much, which is different from most women.  I actually only open my mouth when I feel that is absolutely necessary or when God gives me a nugget to share with others.  Surprisingly, since I was in college, I have always wanted to be an evangelist.  I admired eloquent speakers and "cool" Christians who could relate to anyone and always knew what to say.  I wanted to be like them, and, fairly regularly, I have prayed that God would give me an opportunity to speak at a Christian conference or event where I could share what God has taught me.  Then, I read a book by Bill Hybels called Just Walk Across the Room.  It completely changed my outlook on evangelism.  I always thought all evangelists had to be the same, like they were clones of one mold-they were good with people, natural and fluent speakers, and charismatic, and I didn't feel that I was any of those things.  When I read Hybels's book, God showed me, through Hybels's words, that I have to evangelize in a way that is natural for me.  God made me and wired me the way He did for a reason & He wants to use me in the way He originally intended if I will just allow Him to do so.  It just took me a while to recognize my strengths. I have always been better at expressing myself through the written word, rather than the spoken word, which is ironic that I would pray for an opportunity to speak at a Christian event. I prayed that prayer because I know all Christians are called to actively share their faith with anyone and everyone, but I didn't realize that we could do it in unique ways, and that my evangelism would look different than my pastor's, the youth minister's, or anyone else's.

I am excited about this blog because it is a challenge.  I consider it a challenge because I don't want to hinder God's work, but advance His kingdom.  I just want to help someone, and that is my prayer.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!! It's always so great to hear someone elses story and how God is changing them and using them. Such an encouragement! I look foward to reading more.
    --Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so excited you joined the blogging world! It is so much fun! I look forward to reading your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete